Spectrum Plastics Group
Extrusion Engineer- SC (Engineering)
The Extrusion Engineer is responsible for leading and supporting New Product Introduction (NPI) projects while establishing the strategy and vision of NPI projects including but not limited to exploring and investigating new manufacturing concepts, identifying and qualifying new materials, and new processing methods/tools. This role is accountable for the successful commercialization of new products and the development efforts towards the fulfillment of deliverables per our customer needs. The Extrusion Engineer will act as a liaison between Engineering, Supplier Development, Quality, and Manufacturing Operations to ensure readiness to seamlessly plan, source, make and deliver products to our customers around the world.
• Designs, develops, schedules, and refines New Product Introduction projects while overseeing the development from conception to conclusion.
• Provides technical expertise for the development and investigation of projects and troubleshoots technical problems providing innovative solutions.
• Collaborates with Quality, Supplier Development Manufacturing Operations, and Marketing departments.
• Performs as the principal technical contact assuming the responsibility for the progression of concepts and technologies to provide expert knowledge for the full life-cycle support of project commercialization.
• Identifies manufacturing and scale-up risks at pilot and production sites while developing and implementing appropriate mitigation plans.
• Ensures alignment across sites to harmonize operations and site-to-site transfer of knowledge, process, and good practices as applicable.
• Ensures the successful launch of newly developed products from design to manufacturing.
• Develops and maintains an association with outside organizations and institutions pertinent to the interests and needs of the department and the Company, with emphasis on relations with technical teams of both suppliers and customers.
• Introducing new materials in combination with new processes into research to meet product requirements.
• Bachelor's degree in an engineering or scientific discipline.
• 10 years of proven experience or an advanced degree and 8+ years of proven experience.
• Professional working experience with Medical device design and manufacturing technologies and/or products.
• Expert level experience with Test Method development, protocol generation, execution, and reporting.
• Experience mentoring junior members of the technical staff.
• GMP and ISO 9000 training.
• Experience with tooling design with advanced Solidworks CAD knowledge.
• In-depth understanding of materials associated with medical devices such as polymers (PVC, nylons, polyethylene, polycarbonate, polypropylene. Knowledge of PEEK, Pebax, PTFE, FEP, silicone is also useful).
• Expert knowledge of polymer extrusion processes and equipment including medical polymeric materials, diameters ranging from 0.030” to 1.0” diameter parts, single and multi-lumen profiles, para-tubing, co-extrusion applications, bump tubing, striping, etc.
• Project management associated with new process/product/technology development and the successful transfer into manufacturing.
• Understand customer requirements and applications.
• Six Sigma Greenbelt or equivalent certification beneficial but not required.
• Self-motivation and hands-on skills to simplify complex processes.
• Professional experience in exploration of new technologic prospects.
• Capability to establish change and encourage the inter-organizational exchange of skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills combined with the ability to interact with and influence all levels of the business and clients.
• Exceptional problem-solving, organizational, analytical, and critical thinking skills including high discretion/judgment in decision-making.