Commercial Title Officer (Legal)
When you work at Stewart, you're part of a global real-estate services company that helps make the dream of property ownership a reality around the world. Whether we're providing residential and commercial title insurance, closing and settlement services or specialized offerings for the mortgage industry, we deliver comprehensive service, deep expertise and innovative customer solutions by way of our direct operations, network of Stewart Trusted Providers™ and family of companies. Join our team and discover how Stewart Information Services Company (NYSE-STC) impacts lives for the better. We do more than offer broad-scale real-estate services and solutions; we provide the security for building communities and dreams.
More information can be found at http://www.stewart.com, subscribe to the Stewart blog at http://blog.stewart.com or follow Stewart on Twitter® @stewarttitleco.
• Coordinate and conduct commercial closing transactions locally and nationally that may have intricate title and closing issues, including compliance with closing instructions, title requirements, company requirements and other written instructions.
• Must be familiar with individual municipalities, county clerks, property appraisers and tax collectors. This includes the review of title searches to complete title work, review of closing documents, and assistance in clearing complicated title issues.
• Responsible for preparing commitments, preparing Proforma Policies prior to closing, final policies after closing and various endorsements to both owner's and lender's policies.
• Responsible for reviewing intricate closing documents to confirm that they meet Statutory recording requirements and also meet any commitment requirements for clearing title and assist in making revisions to meet said Statutes and requirements.
• Coordinating with all parties in the review of title objection letters from lender's and buyer's counsel and ALTA surveys for specific survey issues relating to the insured property. This includes being knowledgeable to assist in clearing title issues, possessing basic underwriting skills and knowledge, clearing any survey issues, making sure that the survey meets minimum requirements, drafting a specific title exception for commitment/policies, and discussing the flow of how these things affect the transaction.
• Reviews all documents prepared by counsel for insurability and record-ability.
• Provide all necessary closing and title services.
• Market new business and make calls on current and prospective clients.
• Perform other related duties as assigned by manager.
Role Specific Knowledge:
• Experienced with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the title industry field.
• Formerly in a Title Officer role.
• Notary public or be bondable.
• Work independently and make appropriate decisions.
• Excellent client relations and organizational skills.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
• Ability to read and interpret documents.
• Ability to write routine reports, commitments, policies and correspondence.
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organizations.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages – ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
• Detail-oriented and professional; able to handle confidential information.
• Successful track record in the title industry and expertise in a variety of title areas.
• Strong communication, both verbal and written.
• Ability to deal with multiple types of roles such as real estate sellers, buyers, agents and brokers.
• Possesses basic underwriting knowledge.
Education, Licensure, and Experience:
• Completion of an undergraduate degree in any equivalent field is preferred
• Licensed in title insurance pre-state requirements or currently applying to be licensed, if applicable for your state.
• Minimum of 3-5 years of experience directly handling title transactions which includes experience in the title industry.
• Law Degree Preferred
Returning Job Seekers
Already have a candidate profile? Log in to access and update your current profile to access and update your current profile.
Stewart employees should access Careers through the Stewart Point internal jobs database.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Stewart is committed to ensuring that its online application process provides an equal employment opportunity to all job seekers, including individuals with disabilities. If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an application, please contact us via email at email@example.com.