Accessibility Specialist (Education)
Management Concepts is hiring an experienced Accessibility Specialist to join our growing Services team!
In this role, you will help streamline our existing design and accessibility procedures, advise our content creators, and remediate various types of files for Section 508 and/or ADA compliance using a variety of tools, such as Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, CommonLook PDF, ANDI, WAVE, aXe, Insights, JAWS, NVDA, or VoiceOver. You will work within cross-functional teams and be accountable for meeting both business and creative goals. This can be a fast-paced, dynamic environment – you must demonstrate empathy, the ability to prioritize, and keen multi-tasking in the face of competing assignments without a degradation of work quality. This role is full-time and can be full-time remote.
This role is a key part of our internal quality management process. You will be responsible for the identification and interpretation of best methods to champion accessible design practices in the development of instructor-led and self-paced training products. This critical, highly visible role will advise project teams on tools and techniques, test products in development when needed, and validate accessibility standards before delivery to our customers. As such, you should be able to demonstrate a working understanding of accessibility laws and standards, such as WCAG 2.x, Section 504/508, & ADA.
• 3-5 years in an education, instructional design, computer science, IT, editing, communications, journalism, technical writing, quality assurance, or business analyst role
• Proficient knowledge of Adobe Acrobat
• Excellent computer skills with advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint, etc.)
• Exceptional customer service skills, with a collaborative approach to problem solving
• Ability to adapt to new technologies and processes
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and priorities
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
• Ability to clearly and effectively communicate complex topics concisely in both written and verbal fashion
• Receptive to feedback, embracing continuous improvement
• Smart, compassionate, innovative, inclusive, and committed to making a difference
• Self-motivated, results-oriented and a strong team player
• Manage assignments with minimal supervision while meeting stringent deadlines
• Remediate various file types to create accessible instructional materials
• Use screen readers and other tools to evaluate documents, identify accessibility errors, and report compliance results
• Use various tools to repair errors in documents (e.g., document structure, headings, reading order, images, charts and tables)
• Ensure materials meet internal and US government specifications, and adhere to standards for graphics and quality
• Analyze results of 508 compliance testing/ACRs/VPATs
• Discern future accessibility issues from early development documents, such as storyboards, prototypes, wire frames, and other drafts
• Keep stakeholders in different parts of the organization informed of accessibility concerns that they need to understand
• Develop training around accessibility standards for designers and serve as a subject matter expert on remediation strategies
• Research and conduct outreach for prospective technology solutions
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
• DHS Trusted Tester certification not required but is highly desired
• U.S. Citizens / Green Card Holders only due to government or federal requirement
• Familiarity with instructional design principles (i.e., scaffolding, ADDIE, SAM, etc.)
• Familiarity with eLearning platforms (i.e., Articulate 360, Adobe Captivate, Learning Management Systems, etc.)
• Knowledge and experience with Web design, principles of Universal Design, and understanding of accessibility issues related to emerging web technologies, multimedia and learning environments.
• Familiarity with Content/Learning Management Systems (i.e., Xyleme, Drupal, WordPress, Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, Cornerstone OnDemand, etc.)