Valassis Manufacturing Co., Inc.
Maintenance Mechanic - Night Shift (Marketing)
Provide mechanical maintenance support for 24 hr. / 7-day manufacturing operation. Examines/inspects complex production and special purpose equipment to diagnose failures. Installs equipment, dismantles equipment, replaces defective parts, reassembles, and makes necessary adjustments to ensure efficient operation. May make replacement parts or modify existing parts requiring proficiency in a variety of hand and power tools, shop equipment, machining tools and welding. Performs preventive maintenance responsibility and assists Electrical Maintenance Technician with trouble shooting and repairs. Works a rotating shift and regularly must provide complex troubleshooting and repair without on-site technical supervision or guidance.
• Completes equipment installations, scheduled/unscheduled repairs utilizing the following standard methods: Works with blueprints, schematics, sketches, manuals, written and/or verbal instructions in carrying out job assignments. Observes mechanical devices in operation and listens to their sounds to determine root cause of problems. Dismantles devices to gain access to and remove defective parts. Examines form and texture of parts to detect imperfections. Inspects used parts to determine changes in dimensional requirements. Adjusts functional parts of devices and control instruments which may include applying principles of pneumatics and hydraulics. Adjust functional parts of press folding equipment requiring in depth understanding of folding operation and product delivery requirements. Repairs or replaces defective parts and fabricates parts as necessary. Installs special functional and structural components/equipment in production systems, devices, and facilities. Lubricates and cleans parts. Uses cutting torch, stick and wire welding equipment to cut or join metal parts. Sets up and operates lathe, drill press, grinder, and other metalworking tools to make and repair parts.
• Completes and documents specific preventative and predictive maintenance duties (cleaning, inspecting, replacing/adjusting, lubricating, measuring, etc.) on assigned equipment.
• Team Responsibilities: Work closely with equipment operators to troubleshoot and maintain high level of operating efficiency. Work closely with OEM technical support. Requisitions supplies, parts, and equipment and sends parts out for repair. Records appropriate equipment information concerning equipment repairs and performance. Shares responsibility for repairing and maintaining facility with other maintenance technicians. Assists other Technical Services team members on assigned projects. Attend meetings/respond to requests in the absence of the Maintenance Supervisor or team leader. Other duties as assigned
COMMUNICATION AND CONTACTS
• Informs leaders and other technicians of pertinent information and communicates to other departments as necessary.
• Communicates with equipment operators to determine problems with equipment before breakdown and to determine if equipment adjustments or
repairs are necessary.
• Communicates with equipment vendors and various suppliers including technical local and international support.
Often must make decisions in conjunction with department supervisors to shut down equipment, schedule repairs, request for service.
Functions as member of emergency response team providing equipment and utility shut down, sprinkler valve operation, and assistance to emergency personnel as required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORKING CONDITIONS
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb (up to 35') or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is frequently exposed to chemicals that require special handling and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud (hearing protection required).EDUCATION
• High School Diploma or GED (Required)
• Mechanical maintenance experience in a manufacturing environment or two to four years of Valassis Maintenance Assistance experience with technical coursework as determined by the Maintenance Supervisor upon acceptance of position.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSURES
• Required Certifications/Licensures: (Forklift Driver Certified)
• Preferred Certifications/Licensures: (Machinist and Mechanical Maintenance certification.)
• Ability to retain knowledge of procedures and processes and understand complex instructions and multi-step procedures.
• Willingness to attend training classes to learn or enhance skills.
• Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
• Ability to organize work, people, and materials. Intermediate written and verbal communications skills.
• Ability to read and interpret documents and write routine reports.
• Intermediate math skills. Ability to calculate area, circumference, and volume and apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
• Service-oriented personality
• Ability to work independently on nights and weekend shifts. Ability to work a 12-hour rotating work schedule with call-in and overtime duties.
• Must learn to operate a boom lift.
• Basic computer skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
• Must have knowledge of Internet software, Inventory Software, Manufacturing Software, and Order Processing systems.Hourly Pay Rate: $25.00 - $30.00, plus $1.25 hourly shift differential while working on the night shift.
The ultimate compensation offered for the position will depend upon several factors such as skill level, cost of living, experience, and responsibilities.
Vericast offers a generous total rewards benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401K and generous PTO allowance. A wide variety of additional benefits like life insurance, employee assistance and pet insurance are also available, not to mention smart and friendly coworkers!
At Vericast, we don't just accept differences - we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our clients, and our community.As an Equal Opportunity employer, Vericast considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classifications protected by law. Applicants who have disabilities may request that accommodations be made in order to complete the selection process by contacting our Talent Acquisition team at email@example.com. EEO is the law. To review your rights under Equal Employment Opportunity please visit: www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf .